|Job Title: ||Manager, Client Relations - Coastal Community of Care|
|Work Site: ||Lions Gate Hospital|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time|
Reporting directly to the Senior Medical Director and Director Risk Management for the Coastal Community of Care (CoC), with a functional reporting relationship to the Regional Director, Client Relations and Risk Management, the Manager, Client Relations is responsible and accountable for providing leadership in the management of client relations and operational risk for the CoC by consulting to and mentoring management and staff regarding client relations, situation management, and administrative and operational risk management issues.
As primary point of contact for patient/clients and consulting to management teams regarding prevention and proposed remedial or follow up actions in response to patient/client complaints or related situations, the Manager, Client Relations will implement client relations practices and assist in the implementation of risk management practices at the CoC that are consistent with those across the organization.
Representing Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) in dealings with legal counsel, insurers and other external agencies in investigating and managing claims involving patients/clients and identifying and resolving other risk management issues, the Manager, Client Relations will collaborate with regional Client Relations and Risk Management staff and work to ensure overall consistency and standardization of processes and systems. The Manager will also provide leadership and support to senior leadership, physicians and staff in ensuring that quality improvement strategies and processes are applied to the management of client relations and risk management issues.
Accountabilities for this role will include:
- Consulting to and mentoring management and staff regarding client relations, situation management, and administrative and operational risk management issues
- Acting as primary point of contact for patients/clients and their families and consulting to management teams regarding prevention and proposed remedial or follow up actions in response to patient/client complaints, or related situations
- Implementing client relations practices, and assisting in implementation of risk management practices, consistent with those across VCH
- In collaboration with Legal Services and Operational Leaders, interpreting legal and other regulatory obligations and responsibilities in the context of relevant legislation, regulations, common law and other changing standards and advises on implementation at the operational/policy level
- Representing Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) in dealing with legal counsel, insurers and other external agencies in investigating and managing complaints and/or claims involving patients/clients, and identifying and resolving other risk management issues
- Assisting in minimizing risk exposure through the proactive prevention, identification and management of events which may lead to harm or related exposure for the organization
- Developing effective systems, methods and supports to enable optimal management of administrative and operational risk, including the application of quality improvement strategies and processes
- Supporting the CoC Safety Learning System (SLS), for quality control
- Investigating claims and prepares risk assessment and status reports, participating in the preparation of court documents; consulting with legal counsel and insurers
- Providing support and assistance to the Senior Medical Director and Director Risk Management in the investigation and handling of critical incidents and coroner issues
- Supervising administrative staff as applicable
Qualifications and Expertise
- Master’s Degree in Health Administration or related discipline
- Five (5) to seven (7) years’ recent, related experience in progressively senior leadership roles with responsibility for leading client relations issues and management activities, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Excellent ability to effectively and proactively coordinate strategies, systems, and processes to minimize and manage client complaints and claims and collaborate with others to improve quality and safety for VCH
- Strong ability to apply technical and analytical expertise to assess and support risk and situation management activities, and to establish and implement risk management and quality improvement strategies to support the organization
- Experience in overseeing, assisting with, and/or conducting timely risk assessments in response to requests and consulting with the appropriate leader concerning issues with safety, financial or other implications requiring immediate attention
- Superior judgment and political expertise with regard to communicating sensitive information and effectively persuade and negotiate with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Expert ability to interpret and implement legal and other regulatory obligations and responsibilities of VCH in the context of relevant legislation, regulations, common law and other changing standards
Qualified applicants only please submit a resume and covering letter quoting competition # 094441-ale.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
- Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.