|Job Title: ||Regional Epidemiologist - Public Health Surveillance Unit|
|Work Site: ||Office of the Chief Med Health Officer - West Broadway|
|Status: ||Regular Full Time - Baseline (1.00 FTE)|
As the Regional Epidemiologist, you will report to the Interim Regional Director - Public Health Surveillance and will work to monitor disease trends and health indicators for the purpose of implementing effective prevention strategies in Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH). This goal will be achieved through the establishment, maintenance and periodic evaluation of regional surveillance data for diseases, health indicators and determinants of health.
In collaboration and consultation with other program areas within the Office of the Chief Medical Health Officer, you will have a role on regional public health matters.
Your key internal partnerships will include Medical Health Officers, Public Health Nurses, Environmental Health Officers, Infection Control Practitioners, Population Health, Health Protection, Emergency Management, as well as external colleagues at other health authorities, regional/hospital Epidemiologists, and provincial and federal Epidemiologists and laboratories.
Key Accountabilities include:
- Contributing to the collection, collation, analysis, interpretation and dissemination of information on public health.
- Producing regular surveillance summaries and contributing to annual reports on public health within the region.
- Participating in outbreak response and adverse health cluster investigations as required.
- Using and interpreting a variety of data sources on health and well-being in support of public health practice.
- Facilitating access and contributing to the dissemination of accurate and appropriate information and educational resources to support effective public health practice.
- Contributing to the evaluation of public health programmes.
- Developing with others, appropriate tools and methods to collect information from local communities on health needs and priorities.
- Working with others to support the implementation of regional policies.
- Collaborating in the planning, design and development of research studies that inform public health practice.
Qualifications and Expertise:
- Masters’ degree in Epidemiology or related discipline.
- PhD preferred
- Preference is given to candidates with at least two years of recent related experience in public health surveillance and evidence of strong methodological skills in study design and data analysis.
- Strong epidemiologic and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrable experience leading collation and interpretation of relevant epidemiological data.
- Experience developing and utilizing information and intelligence systems to underpin public health action across disciplines and organizations.
- Experience in undertaking evidence-based reviews for specific project and programme work.
- Superior communication skills to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, providing advice, guidance and education consistent with good public health practice.
- Current knowledge of new developments, trends and research in public health surveillance.
- Uses a variety of software applications at an advanced level to develop databases, conduct statistical analyses and prepare reports.
- Qualified applicants only please submit a resume and covering letter quoting competition # 095518-ale.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
- Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
- This position will remain posted externally until filled
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to staffpostings.vch.ca for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.